Creativity : The act of a single thought combined with imagination and human intervention resulting in the reality of an idea.


" Man !!!...that's the 5th friggin' pencil this week !!."
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Collecting Comic Art

Hey guys...just finished clipping about a half a year or so of comics that friends and family save for me whenever they go someplace. No postcards or token souveniers for me..I say ..." You gonna read that paper with your morning coffee??..bring it home". I've 'met' several people in recent months who share this O.C.D. ( obssesive collection disorder ) and the reasoning in their compulsion is all the same......the fun in clipping a comic strip you've never seen or heard of before....coming across a strip from an artist you've admired.....finding a strip from your childhood..or a strip done bythe original cartoonist. I have one which is ' Snuffy Smith' by Fred Lasswell, which is a treasure to me.
I even have a few from differing countries done in thier native language.Those are cool too.Also clip articled for just about anything cartoon or cartoonist related,which unfortunately contain some death notices.
Is there money in collecting comic strips?? I have no idea ...nor do I care. I collect these little tid-bits of posteriety for two reasons...one of which is purely selfish...I like to, and second reason...to sorta pay homage in some strange little way to the wonderfully talented people who created them..whether they are still with us or not..

2 comments:

Pastor Z said...

I too have been a long-time strip-clipper I've got an old Tumbleweeds from back in the 70s packed away somewhere in which someone is looking for Mayor Frump, and 'Weeds says, "He's out campaigning... among the Indians." The last frame has Frump standing there in a loin cloth, surrounded by Indians, and declaring "Ich bin ein Barbarian!" Truly a classic. Somewhere I've also got a couple of old "Henry" strips from the days of Don Trache, as well as an old Gil Thorpe from around 1975 where there's this kid at Milford named Ernie Fenton who's in love with a girl named Fern Woodley who won't give him the time of day. One of his friends says, "So that Woodley chick don't dig ya?" And Ernie says, "Yeah, I don't get it... I'm good looking, I've got a great sense of humor, and I'm a top jock! What more could she want?" Gil Thorpe, at its best, back in its glory days.

I also have an Andy Capp that has been on the front of my refrigerator since April of 1984. That means that since I clipped it,I have moved about nine or ten times. It also survived 5 years of bachelorhood, twelve years of marriage, a divorce, and now four and a half years of a second marriage. Since I first put the cartoon up, I have switched jobs five times doing everything from tradeshow work to vehicle lettering to museum exhibit design to being a pastor. And now, half a lifetime later, I stil have the cartoon on my fridge. And it still cracks me up everytime I read it. I may have to scan it and put it up on my blog.

I'll be checking in here from time to time Tim - keep up the good work!

Pastor Z
Church Mice

Tim Winstead said...

Pastor...thanks so much for commenting on this thread. It seems lately that the more and more I talk with people, the more I find that clipping isn't such a odd thing to do. I've 'collected' many things in my life and spent untold gobs of money on such collections, but none have given me the enjoyment I've recieved from clipping.
And speaking from a rare or old strip point of view..I have a couple of pride and joys myself.
1..a Snuffy Smith by Fred Lasswell
2...a Miss Peach by Mel Lazzurus
I also collect goofs...mistakes in either the print..how they're slotted in the paper or whatever kind of goof I may find.
I think the reason I suffer from O.C.S.C.D.( OBSESSIVE COMIC STRIP COLLECTING DISORDER)is mainly that I like to...nothing more. I hope that's the reason most others do too.

" My NOT So Prolific Profile"

My photo
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
I draw,I cook,I fix things,I ride my motorcycle and work my tail off. I run my website, Komik Strip Kartoonz for the sheer enjoyment of it. I do daytrips, and like to try new places to eat. I like sci-fi..reading books when time permits, and catching an occassional movie every now and then. Over all, I have the attention span of a teetsy-fly and need to do all this stuff to keep myself from slipping into a catatonic state and drooling all over my clothes.

Board Discussions